China in the 21st Century: What Everyone Needs to Know
- 二十一世纪的中国(China in the 21st Century: What Everyone Needs to Know)简介：
The need to understand this global giant has never been more pressing: China is constantly in the news, yet conflicting impressions abound. Within one generation, China has transformed from an impoverished, repressive state into an economic and political powerhouse. In China in the 21st Century: What Everyone Needs to Know, Jeffrey Wasserstrom provides cogent answers to the most urgent questions regarding the newest superpower and offers a framework for understanding its meteoric rise.
Focusing his answers through the historical legacies--Western and Japanese imperialism, the Mao era, and the massacre near Tiananmen Square--that largely define China's present-day trajectory, Wasserstrom introduces readers to the Chinese Communist Party, the building boom in Shanghai, and the environmental fall-out of rapid Chinese industrialization. He also explains unique aspects of Chinese culture such as the one-child policy, and provides insight into how Chinese view Americans.
Wasserstrom reveals that China today shares many traits with other industrialized nations during their periods of development, in particular the United States during its rapid industrialization in the 19th century. Finally, he provides guidance on the ways we can expect China to act in the future vis-à-vis the United States, Russia, India, and its East Asian neighbors.
- 《贫困线上的心灵》Mind, Heart and Soul in the Fight Against Poverty [PDF]
- 《精选关于科技、创新、版权和未来之未来的文章》Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the Future of the Future [PDF]
- 《二十一世纪的中国》China in the 21st Century: What Everyone Needs to Know [PDF]
- 《优生学和其他罪恶》Eugenics and Other Evils [PDF]
- 《2008世界儿童报告》The State of the World’s Children 2008: Child Survival [PDF]
- 《种族主义：简介》Racism: A Very Short Introduction [PDF]
- 《2006年世界儿童报告》The State of the World’s Children 2006: Excluded and Invisible [PDF]
- 《2009世界儿童报告》The State of the World’s Children 2009: Maternal and Newborn Health [PDF]
- 《社会和文化：稀缺与团结》Society and Culture: Scarcity and Solidarity [PDF]
- 《2007年世界儿童报告》The State of the World’s Children 2007: Women and Children [PDF]